Friday, June 13, 2008

Tribute to My Dad

Father's Day is this Sunday. It is a time for me to pause and give thanks for the great Dad that I had. My Dad has been gone for over 12 years, and I miss him all the time. For you see, my Dad was my only parent for over 40 years. I only lived with him for a short 8 years. Though he lived just a few blocks away, we never lived in the same house for many many years. I miss him. And what do I miss the most? His tenderness, his wisdom, his steadiness in my life and in the life of my children. My Dad was the only grandparent they knew. My grandpa would say that my Dad was born with wisdom. He was a wise child. Always seemed to know what to do and how to do it. When my Dad was a young man of 28 he was in a tragic automobile accident. The accident killed my mother, and crippled my Dad. His spinal cord was severed and he lived the remainder of his life in a wheel chair. Never taking a step ever again. Never running, never jumping, never dancing, never lifting his children, and grandchildren in his steady strong arms. Never! But he lived his life, and he lived it the way he wanted to live it. Positive, happy, confident with more wisdom than most. He lived his life.. . . . . I love him, I miss him. . .The older I get the more I think of him, and miss him. I savior the words he spoke to me, I cherish my memories of him, I thank my Lord for giving me such a kind and gentle father who loved me and protected me. I was his first born, I was his princess. Though our years were short, our relationship was strong and he taught me much about life and living. KL

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails