Sunday, June 13, 2010

THINGS WE KEEP

Today is the Sabbath
Beautiful day of prayerA thought for today
Their marriage was good. Their dreams were focused.
Their best friends lived barely a wave away.
I can see them now.
Dad in his trouser, tee shirt and hat.
Mom in a housedress.
Lawnmower in one hand dishtowel in another.
It was a time of fixing things.
A curtain rod
The kitchen radio
The screen door
The oven door
The hem in a dress
Things we keep
It was a way of life.
Sometime it made me crazy. All that re-fixing, eating, renewing. . .
I just wanted once to be wasteful.
Waste meant affluence.
Throwing things away meant you knew there would always be more.
But then my mother died.
On that clear summer's night, in the warmth of the hospital room,
I was struck with pain of learning that
sometimes there isn't any more.
Sometimes, what we care about most gets all used up and goes away. . . .
Never to return. . . .
So. . .
While we have it. . . .
It is best we LOVE it. . .
And CARE for it. . .
And Fix it when it is broken. . . .
And HEAL it when it is sick. . . .
This is true for. . .
Marriages
And old cars
And children with bad report cards
Dogs and cats with bad hips
And AGING PARENTS
And GRANDPARENTS,
We keep them because they are worth it
And because we are worth it.
Some things we keep......
Like a best friend that moved away
Or a classmate we grew up with.
There are just somethings that make life important,
Like people we know who are special. . . . .
And so we keep them close!
Stay close to those you love and take care of them.
Life passes all too fast.
Sometimes there is no more.
We take the good and the bad,
And cherish the moment we have.
I didn't author this I don't know who did. It was sent to me by my son in an e-mail,
but it speaks my feelings.
Have a beautiful Sabbath
And allow the Savior, Jesue Christ, into you life,


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails